Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Steak tartare

Can anyone recommend anywhere that does a good steak tartare that isn%26#39;t expensive? I%26#39;ve never tried it %26amp; want to while i am in paris next month. Thanks!!!




|||



Hello kaceysheff,





Le Relais de Venise at 217 Boulevard Pereire near the Arch de Triumph comes highly recommended. Do not know prices although from conversations I gather it is rather reasonable. You might check it out on the web at http://www.relaisdevenise.com/





We will eating in that restaurant in mid July.




|||



That restaurant is rather fun (and extremely popular) but offers ONLY one dish -- steak frites. The famous part is the secret sauce, which is tasty but definitely mysterious. Since they only offer steak frites, I%26#39;m afraid the tartare-seeker would be out of luck here! :)





Jason




|||



It%26#39;s funny you posted this. I had the same desire and had it my last time in Paris. The waiter asked me about 5 times if I was sure I wanted it and explained it different ways each time. I was frustrated that I had to repeat myself until I watched 2 tables of Americans next to me send their steak tartare orders back because they were raw and they never would have ordered anything like that. ;-)




|||



Let me preface this by saying that I have never eaten at the restaurant shown, but here is a little video clip about it that might be of interest:





geobeats.com/videoclips/…steak-tartare




|||



Some websites that might assist



chowhound.chow.com/topics/543740





From Jill Dupleix



timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article2645256.ece



Ate: Steak tartare and frites at brasserie Terminus Nord, opposite Eurostar’s Gare du Nord, 23 Rue de Dunkerque, Paris (00 33 1 42 85 05 15, www.terminusnord.com), £42 a couple.





starchefs.com/features/…index.shtml





thefoodoffrance.com/post/113773242/steak-tar…




|||



When it comes to tartare, freshness is of course a must. It%26#39;s why most Parisians turn to establishments with big turnover, which is a guarantee that the raw meat that lands in your plate hasn%26#39;t been waiting for a customer for the last three days. Hence the prevalence of brasseries for this dish: Terminus Nord is indeed a good choice, but so would le Zimmer in Châtelet, Marty in Gobelins, Bofinger in Bastille, well, you see the picture, all the classic ones. Personally, I like the tartare in Les Marronniers, rue des Archives, next to the BHV (and it%26#39;s not pre-mixed, I prefer it this way! ).



As for the restaurant tucked away on bd Péreire, it might be a good choice, but it%26#39;s a long way to go to get a tartare that%26#39;s readily available in each good brasserie around town. If you want to go somewhere out of the way, you’d rather try one of the many restaurants facing La Villette (porte de Pantin side), that have been serving the best meat in Paris ever since the times when La Villette was the big Paris slaughterhouse. A real vegetarian’s nightmare!




|||



I too prefer to mix it myself and play the combinations of flavours. We have a restaurant here in Sydney which offers the choice and it is such a treat, one I do not taste often enough.





We ate, on a hot day, at a rather unassuming restaurant off the Champs Elysees, nothing like the tourist places, and got banquette seating and traditional decor and service. The food was cool and very well executed. I had gazpacho, salmon tartare and nougat ice and DH stretched the limits of cholesterol and had duck terrine, steak, and choc mousse. I did not record the cost. Nor, I am afraid, whether they had steak tartare, but it was that sort of place, and very good.



La Casita



9, Rue Washington



75008 Paris, France



01 45 61 00 38‎



linternaute.com/restaurant/…la-casita.shtml




|||



Cafe du commerce, rue commerce in the 15th arrondissement.



After dinner y ou can walk to the Eiffel Tower from the back.



http://www.lecafeducommerce.com/?page=carte




|||



Fantastic, thank you guys. I will have to make a note of them %26amp; see which i am nearest to at the time. Freshness is a must, which is why i am thinking that France is the place to try it, here in the UK you don%26#39;t really know how long it has sat...




|||



David Lebovitz, who has a very good Paris food blog, recommends LEs Fines Geulles in the 1st. I didn%26#39;t have a chance to visit, though....





I very much enjoyed my Steak Tartare at Bistrot Chez Denise.





My wife had Veal and Seafood Tartare at La Petite Cour in the 6th that was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment