Tuesday, April 24, 2012

marais or opera area for woman traveling alone

Hi everyone,



I wanted to get your thoughts on whether bow comfortable either of these districts would be for a mid-30s woman traveling alone. I have been to Paris twice and am comfortable in large cities, and I know to keep my wits about me. Both times I stayed on the left bank and this time I want to be on the other side. Pros/cons to these neighborhoods? I have a hotel booked in each, and I expect I%26#39;ll go out for a later dinner and be walking back later at night. Thanks!





p.s. Just to head this discussion off--I have no problems dining alone. I do it a lot on business and even at home!




|||



The opera area has bigger hotels, bigger shops, bigger streets etc and a lot of offices but is safe at night like all of central Paris. The Marais has more of a village feel with older and narrower streets and more boutique hotels. I%26#39;ve stayed in both area and now only stay in the Marais but in an apartment. Some streets in the Marais are lively and noisy at night so a hotel on one of the quieter streets would be best. The Place des Vosges end is quieter.




|||



Both areas are safe at night, in the sense that no one is going to hit you over the head and drag you into an alley.





It%26#39;s more a question of what you are comfortable with. I just asked my wife, who said it would be the Marais without question. Much depends on the exact location of the hotels. A little east of the actual Opera is a business district that is mostly deserted at night. But the area near the Madeleine is fine. There are always people having meals or drinks after the theatre.





The Marais has more of a neighborhood feeling, but if one wanders east of Bastille, there%26#39;s a certain %26quot;edge.%26quot;





-- Steve




|||



I agree that both are safe. I think that in terms of things to do, etc. that the Marais is the best choice (my wife agrees too!). I%26#39;d suggest staying in a studio apartment if you want to feel more immersed in Paris. Also, I agree with the other comment that staying on rue des Francs Bourgeois and one street up from Musee Picasso (north/south) and from rue des Archives to rue des Tournelles are the quieter parts of Le Marais.




|||



They are both safe, but the Marais has a denser population and more clubs, which means more folks around at night, which means even safer. It also enjoys a large gay population, making it even safer for a woman. And making for a great design scene.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, June 26, 2009


|||



I would also prefer the Marais while on vacation, but just wanted to give a different opinion about the Grands Boulevards area, as someone posted this : %26quot;A little east of the actual Opera is a business district that is mostly deserted at night.%26quot;





I have a different opinion as I stay on a regular basis in the Grands Boulevards neighborhood, that is located east of Opera (like you on business, 2 or 3 days a week in Paris actually) and I think it is a very lively area! It is the theater district so very vibrant at night, with loads of cafés open late, loads of restaurants, a Virgin bookstore open until midnight, a newspaper kiosk open until 11:00pm, etc.





But it depends on where you have your hotel (I don%26#39;t like the immediate Opera area or Saint Lazare and Madeleine areas as much at night)?




|||



Thanks everyone! Such helpful information. I was leaning towards the Marais, even though my hotel I think is in the less quiet area (about 3 blocks from Pompidou) The opera hotel is SE of the the metro, south of rue du 4 Sept and east of Avenue de la Opera. But last time we were in the Opera area it did seem a little deserted, but I do like a good bookstore. Anyway, lots to think about. Thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment