Wednesday, April 25, 2012

New year's eve - Paris or Cannes?

Hi!!



I%26#39;m planning to spend new year%26#39;s eve in France but I%26#39;m not sure whether I should do that in Paris or Cannes. Can anyone guide me on the new year%26#39;s traditions in both cities? Are there any special events/arrangements that take place during that time?



Thanks:)))






|||



Hi Basantoot.



My boyfriend and i went to Paris for new years in 2007, and i was very surprised of the lack of fireworks. None at all. Only a little sparkle on the Eiffel Tower...it was a very quiet party.





Kind regards.



Tina.




|||



%26quot;A very quiet party%26quot; ??!!! The Champs Elysées, a 3 km long, 200 m broad avenue, closed to traffic, with one million people gathering there and getting drunk - you know, like Copenhagen on every Saturday night. Actually, it can get a little rough in some neighborhoods. So, there is definitely some partying going around. However, the climate can be an issue: usually, it%26#39;s relatively mild, around 5-10°, but last year it was freezing, with snow and ice.



I don%26#39;t know about the festivities in Cannes, please go to the Riviera forum for that.



One thing to know for either case: whatever the city, the French take their %26quot;réveillon%26quot; very seriously, that%26#39;s the traditional gourmet NYE dinner. So, true, before midnight, everybody will be at home or in a restaurant having foie gras, oysters, champagne, etc. and it%26#39;s only after midnight that all hell breaks loose.




|||



Thank u guys for your responses...gives me a better picture and helps me with my plans!



One thing I heard of before is the grape picking at midnight? I%26#39;m not sure where this takes place though..don%26#39;t have enough info on that so would appreciate if anyone would furnish me with more details:)




|||



The eating of grape grain by grain is a Spanish tradition, done for instance on the Puerta del Sol in Madrid. Not in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment