Tuesday, April 24, 2012

1st time to Paris 25th Wedding Anniversay

Help! My husband has been working in Baghdad for the past six months and will be taking a couple of weeks off in August. Being over there has changed him and he has finally come to understand that life can change in a heartbeat....So, he wants to meet in Paris for our anniversary. We have traveled in Europe quite a bit but never to France. We love museums, architecture, and culture. We are in our early 50%26#39;s so the party crowd and clubs are not for us but we certainly like to drink wine and have fun. Suggestions for what area to look for a hotel, B%26amp;B or apartment would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what area to start looking.





Thanks!




|||



It would help, and you%26#39;ll get more replies, if you tell us what your budget is; per night and in euros preferably.




|||



We are returning to the hotel Design de la Sorbonne again as it is a small hotel but very nice and safe for two women travelling with their teenage daughters and leaving husbands at home!,this is different for you but I would definately recommend it as it is close too lots of cafe and jardin luxembourg(a lovely park where parisians hang out)The hotel overlooks the Sorbonne university so its a safe area kind of studenty feel and lots of great places to eat and close to metro you can look it up on this site, hope you have a great time in Paris




|||



A few days ago another poster suggested this one in this forum and I thought I would love to try it next time.



http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/




|||



In terms of where to stay, you have to make two decisions: Which section of Paris, and would you prefer an apartment or a hotel room.



There are great places for food and wine in every area of Paris. Paris is divided into 20 districts called arrondisements. Go to this site and get a feel for which districts suit you. http://www.parisnet.com/parismap.html Go to this site and make a tentative list of your 5-10 %26quot;must see%26quot; sites and museums. www.paris-france.org/en/Visiting/default.asp Do you find that most tend to be concentrated in one area? You may wish to stay somewhat close so you can walk to them, although public transportation (including velib bikes) is convenient and inexpensive.



If you opt for an apartment, go here and try out the websites of a few agencies which seem to match your tastes and budget. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k26308… If you decide to stay in a hotel, I would try the review section of tripadvisor. You can limit your search to one or two arrondisements, and get a feel for what others have liked and disliked in various hotels, and the price ranges.



At some point you need to get a good guide book, and a search in this forum will list several excellent ones. I found Rick Steeves%26#39; book useful because it was very descriptive of art museums, but the other books each have strengths. But I would concentrate on finding a place to stay first, and focus on what to see and where to eat second.



I hope you guys have a wonderful trip. My wife and I celebrated our 27th there last month, our first trip to the continent ever.




|||



Thank you. I%26#39;m thinking I%26#39;d like to stay around or under 150 euros per night. I want to spend money shopping and not sleeping. However, I do like a nice, clean room in a good area. Are there %26quot;bad%26quot; areas in Paris?




|||



Thank you very much for the information. I will check out this hotel right now.




|||



I LOVE this place! I think this may be it. I was leaning toward an apartment, but I like this! Thank you!!!




|||



If your husband is used to air conditioned comfort coming from Baghdad in August, double check the hotels to make sure they offer air condtioning. I don%26#39;t think the one you love offers AC. Not all have AC.....









oprah44




|||



The Hotel de Jardin de Cluny has AC and is in a great location.





I also think if you are spending the two weeks just in Paris, an apartment is a good idea. It%26#39;s nice to have room to spread out and relax after a day%26#39;s outing.




|||



I know of a fabulous (and very romantic) B%26amp;B in Montmartre with a panoramic view of the Eiffel Tower, and all of the skyline. This is an amazing neighborhood with all sorts of restaurants, shops, markets, cafes and more. . . highly recommended, and reasonably priced:



http://chambre-montmartre.com/





Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment