Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bars & Clubs in Lyon

Hello,





I am a guy in my late 30%26#39;s coming to Lyon for a weekend. I would love to experience the nightlife in some bars and clubs of people around my age and where it is relatively easy to mingle. Places within walking distance of the centre would be preferable.





Cheers,



Z




|||



You will have plenty of choices I am afraid...





For a nice %26quot;before%26quot; I suggest one of these (assuming your weekend is during summer):



- the bar of the Opera, there are free jazz concerts at 7:00 and 8:15 pm and the atmosphere is great (you may share a table as you are alone):



opera-lyon.com/Peristyle-Concert-de-Jazz-et-…



- or enjoy a drink at sunset on the Rhône left bank, on board of one of the boats there or on a terrace along the river.





Regarding night bars for an %26quot;after%26quot;, you should stick to Terreaux area (1st arrondissement); you may like:



- Café 203 (9 rue du Garet), it is open until 2:00am



- Le Voxx (1 rue d%26#39;Algérie), open until 3:00am



- La Pêcherie, 1 rue de la Platière, open until 3:00am



- one of the Ninkasi bars; they make their own beer and have several bars in town (clinets are mostly students, may be not exactly your age range, but easy to mingle), including a concert venue in Gerland:



http://ninkasi.fr/





A little trendier ?



- à KGB if you like vodka : http://www.akgb.fr/



- la Marquise (an other boat on the Rhône bank) : http://marquiseclub.free.fr/





A spanish bar with tapas ?



- Café Leone, 8 rue de la monnaie (2è)





There are also a few gay places that are great.





Last but not least, you may also try an english/irish pub in order to meet english speaking guys : such as the Wallace, or any of the pubs along rue sainte Catherine (1er), or an australian café:



http://www.wallacebarlyon.com/home.html



http://www.ayersrockcafe.com/






|||



The Smoking Dog pub in Vieux Lyon is always full of Brits, if you are looking to meet people.





Ayers Rock is one of my favourites. It starts off fairly sedate but livens up by the end of the night!




|||



Hi,





I was actually in Lyon last weekend so the advice is a bit late. Let%26#39;s be clear, I didn%26#39;t go to meet Brits or other nationalities, I went to meet French people. However, I did go to some of the places mentioned above.



- The Smoking Dog, a bore of a place that lacked any signs of life on either Friday or Saturday.



- Wallace Bar. Great band on Friday night with a great mix of French and some expats, Saturday there was no band and it was quieter. 9.50 for a whiskey and coke was a rip off.



- St. James, Good lively place but no music or band. Cheap drinks and lots of students.



- James Joyce, very nice bar with super-friendly staff and they had a bit of a disco in the back room. My favourite.



- Ninkasi, probably found the wrong one as it had a cafe type atmosphere.



- rue St. Catherine - full of student bars, not my style.





Would have prefered to have known about the upmarket places before I went and didn%26#39;t find any just by wandering around the central areas. Lyon is a nice place but I wouldn%26#39;t recommend a vist based on the nightlife that I experienced.





Cheers,



Z




|||



I am sorry but you posted pretty late to get advices in due time!!! Moreover you did not mention the date of your trip (I would not have taken time to answer if I knew it was too late)!!!





As i see you are new on TA : experts are people like you, that share their experience with other travellers, this is not a commercial service and we are all volunteers...

No comments:

Post a Comment