Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Le Mouton Blanc

Dear TAs





I have reservation for the Le Mouton Blanc on 8 August. I was offered a room in a second building. I have read the reviews on this hotel. And I am hoping someone can shed some light on what the second building is. Is this the Annex I read about in some of the reviews? Both are on MSM itself right?





One of the reasons why we chose this place was the photos on their website. Like all reviews here, some people liked it, some don%26#39;t. Are rooms in the Annex building of a similar standard? Any views in any of the rooms?





Honestly I think being able to stay on MSM for a summer evening is nothing to complain about. But I originally planned the 14th August and that was in the main building!




|||



Le Mouton Blanc is next to the St Pierre and I think they may actually be run by the same people. I do not know of the annexe but I would expect to see photos before agreeing.Reviews on TA are quite mixed, so much so that it seems to depend on which room you got in the annexe.



When did the reservation date change? Was that you or the hotel? Sounds like a substantial rejig of your plans to change by that much.



I%26#39;m not sure if I have told you this, but do NOT go for a room that overlooks the one and only street. It is incredibly noisy all night, first people, then rubbish going out then supplies coming in.



Hope you can work it out.




|||



Oh that was my change. Someone here said the tides are amazing and I checked online and 14th-15th August didn%26#39;t have nice tides. So I decided to go for 8th instead. Basically I wanted to either do MSM before the start or the end of my 6 days Paris stay. So either way works for me.





Yeah the Annex reviews varies by a great deal. Between really nice to so-so.





I think I%26#39;ve read somewhere that it can get very noisy. Now I don%26#39;t know what to do! Should I ask for 14th back? To be honest I am a bit embarrassed asking 14th back. It%26#39;s just one night.




|||



It%26#39;s probably all my fault, I wrote of the tides and of the noise. No reports of noise from the annex, it is only one night, the tide is really good if you can see it swirl in, go with the flow (pun intended) and enjoy. I have put up with a few rough places for one night and lived to tell the tale, and the Mont is magical at night. Take a tripod for the camera.




|||



Thanks for the advice!





I am coming from Australia - long way away - so naturally I want it to be perfect. And if MSM is 1/10th as amazing as it looks I think roughing it would be well worth it.





Having said that, there are positive reviews of the annexe as well. So different people have different rooms. And of course different expectations. I would hardly call LMB roughing it!





I am just going to go ahead an confirm the reservation.





One more question. I plan to travel there using these people





keolis-emeraude.com/en/mont-st-michel/trip-b…





How early should I book the TGV trains?





I am a bit worred about the connection. Is there time to get from the train station to the bus stop? The time table there suggests the gap is only 14-20 minutes!!!




|||



I have not used public transport here. However, you will find the TGV fast and on time and the bus stop just outside the station. It is set up mainly for the people on the TGV so it is not going to leave before those people unload from the train.





You can buy tickets on line from 90 days out and they have cheap tickets to begin with that sell out, then less cheap ones etc. Most people advise that second class is just fine, not a big difference from first class. You can look at some of the layouts at this URL



www.seat61.com/France.htm but sometimes you need to dig to find the info about intra France travel.



Buy your ticket from SNCF as Raileurope seems to charge a lot extra.



www.voyages-sncf.com



I hope you enjoy it. It is very lovely at night. I also got up early in the morning and took a picture from the ramparts that was just a sheet of gold light across the bay with the sun rising. Fantastic.




|||



I think you might have changed your for not much result.





On the web page



ot-montsaintmichel.com/horaires_aout09.htm





which gives the amplitude of the tides the tide on the 8th shows coefficient 88. The web page only shows the tides when they are %26quot;visible%26quot; That means that sea can be seen from the north tower.



For many days in the year the tides aren%26#39;t visible. The tide goes out 10 miles and if the tide doesn%26#39;t have a high coefficient the tide isn%26#39;t even visible from MSM.



A tide that come up to the mount needs a coeff of around 105.





The main interest of MSM is it%26#39;s siting, architecture and history. The high tide is just icing on the cake when it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment