Friday, March 23, 2012

Art Galleries in Place des Vosges

On my last trip to Paris, I went into some of the fascinating art galleries surrounding the Place des Vosges.





I understand that some of the galleries have %26quot;openings%26quot; on Thursday evenings. Has anyone on this board been to one, and if so, can you tell me more about it?





Thanks!




|||



I was really disappointed in Place des Vosges ---- I expected more shops and art galleries to be open --- it just seemed empty to me........





Great park in the middle of it, but otherwise I was disappointed.




|||



AdventureGirl,





I%26#39;m surprised at what you have to say. When we went to the galleries the people there were more than happy to chat with us and tell us all about the art. When I got back to New York, I started receiving invitations to openings in Manhattan, as a result of the connections I made in Paris.




|||



Our favorite art gallery in Place des Vosges is the Celine CHOURLET Gallery. Her work is very colorful and abstract. Her husband, Jean Francois runs it and is a lovely, lovely man who is extremely helpful and personable. I don%26#39;t know about any openings but take a look at their website www.chourlet.com and perhaps you can find out.




|||



Nothing was open, Pixfield............





I must have hit it the wrong time of day or something.....





But nothing was open except a restaurant. Lots of people in the restaurant and in the park, but otherwise nothing else was open, or it appeared to all be closed down.





Like I said before, though, this would not be the first time I was confused regarding my Paris visit.....





I think this might be a case of %26quot;Country Bumpkin-ism%26quot; :)




|||



I second Pixfield, I think there are 2 or 3 very interesting art galleries in place des Vosges among the ~15 galleries there. I do like Lisette Alibert (last time I was there I liked Manscour glass sculptures very much!) and a couple of others I don%26#39;t remember the names. And yes we%26#39;ve seen in a NYC gallery the same artist who paint metal sculptures that give the impression of movement (such as cyclist etc), don%26#39;t know if you%26#39;ve seen these Pixfield ?



http://www.lisettealibert.com/





But never heard on thursdays evening opening and can%26#39;t find anything searching the web...




|||



Place des Vosges is very nice to walk around but I don%26#39;t think the art galleries would be very highly regarded in the Paris art world. Most of the top galleries of this size are on the left bank in the 6th and 7th.




|||



I%26#39;d suggest to also walk up Rue Vieille du Temple and rue Charlot along with streets just north of Musee Picasso. There are a lot of small galleries in that neighborhood though the 6eme is center for %26quot;classical%26quot; art galleries.

No comments:

Post a Comment