Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dordogne - worh a visit between a provence and Amboise trip?

Hello guys..



Im planning a trip to provence, where I should stay seven or eight days and then go to Loire Valley. And I thought that perhaps one or two days in Dordogne could be nice. What do you guys think?



Is it worth for just one day?Are there nice things to do there?



Thanks!



Sarkis






|||



It is a very beautiful and interesting part of the country, rich with woodlands, castles, rivers and farms, fabulous and rich foods to eat (foie gras, duck, goose, truffles in particular), interesting history



This website may give you some ideas of what lies between your two points.



www.nickbooth.id.au/France08/Perigord.html



We found Sarlat to be a thriving, charming market town with a medieval centre and close to many things to visit such as caves and castles. Beynac has a great castle perched above the small village and the river running past the foot of the cliff. Further on the town of Bourdeilles is a small place with a castle and river, again a good base for seeing some of the beautiful villages of France.



I urge you to visit Oradour sur Glane on your way to the Loire. Disturbing and confronting, but well worth the visit.




|||



Be aware of your driving times -- use www.viamichelin.com -- it%26#39;s pretty accurate on driving times, and gives you toll rates and distances, as well.





You need to know that the Dordogne is NOT on the way from Provence to Amboise.





Since you didn%26#39;t give an originating point, I used Marseille -- it%26#39;s nearly 6 hours of driving time to Sarlat.





Sarlat is then another 4-1/2 to the Loire, while Marseille directly to Amboise is 7 hours -- so you%26#39;re adding about 50% on to your travel time.





It%26#39;s absolutely possible, but I don%26#39;t know that I%26#39;d want to go that far out of my way for only one day.





We love the Dordogne, and have spent much time there -- and it%26#39;s well worth far more than a single day.




|||



Hi there,





Thought I would add a point to the discussion. I agree totally with Sunshine that a day in the Dordogne region is really impractical.





What I really want to say is that we travel to France every year.





For us,the Dordogne region (and here I include the Lot as well) is the most engaging and interesting in the whole of France (possibly even Europe!). Why not consider adding two or three days to your Dordogne stay from the Provence and the Loire sectors of your tour. I am certain that those who know this fantastic region would be willing and able to help with an itinerary for you.





If nothing else, I hope this note motivates you to come back to France and spend a holiday visiting this region of medieval towns and beautiful rivers (Dordogne,Vezere,Lot,Cele). Best of luck.




|||



Hello guys,



Thanks for your help!



I used google earth for the distances and everything...The whole trip is something like this : I arrive at 15:00 at Marseille, sleep there one night and in the day after (after seeing Chateau Dif and the calanques) I go to Aix, then Avignon Saint Remy ( I should stay about 7-8 days in provence) and then, from Nimes, instead of going to Amboise, I planned to go a little bit out of the way to Dordogne, but as I said, I only have one full day, and as you said, its not enought. The I would go to Loire Valley, have 2 days there, and then head to Paris for the last 5 or 6 days.



So the 1 day i have in Dordogne depends on how long Im staying in the other places. Should I exchange a day in Provence for another more in Dordogne?



Thanks!!




|||



Yes -- either add more days in the Dordogne (at least 3 total) -- or skip it entirely. You just can%26#39;t do it justice in one day.




|||



HI THERE - I agree totally with Sunshine. Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment