Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ile Rousse to Bonifaccio

Hi, I am making my first trip to Corsica next Sunday and arrive in Ile Rousse at 4.30pm. I have to drive to Bonifaccio and would like to take the safest route. I would be really grateful for any suggestions, I have looked on viamichelin.fr and it suggests I go through Corte. Is this the least stressful route? I would appreciate any opinions. Thanks, Juliana




|||



Hi, I just drove my rental car from Calvi (close to Ile Rousse) to Ajaccio and back yesterday. It was the preferred way to get there as the local train takes nearly four hours, and then two hours later departs for Calvi (another four hours!). That is not enough time to see/do anything. You could take a boat, but its nearly as long - and its a bumpy ride as it is very windy here from about 1100 - 1600. Personally, I believe that the car is the best option, but it still takes 2-3hrs (170+km each way) to get there. And Bonifaccio is still further...another 1-2hrs? The drive has many beautiful moments though, with LOTS of winding curves, scenery, and small villages to stop an walk if you choose. Enjoy your trip!




|||



Not sure exactly the route that Via Michelin suggests, but yes, I would go through Corte: from Bonifacio, up the east coast to Aleria, turn left to Corte, then to Ponte Leccia and Ile Rousse. This is a straightforward drive with no sheer drops or other problems.




|||



Or, rather, as I belatedly see you are going the other way, from Ile R. to Corte, then turn left to Aleria and then down the east coast to Bonifacio. There aren%26#39;t many choices, and it%26#39;s well signposted, so you should be fine.





But don%26#39;t be tempted to turn off left at Ponte Leccia; go straight on to Corte, it%26#39;s a lovely drive, and quicker than going towards Bastia from Ponte Leccia.




|||



Thank you so much for your message, I feel a lot better now. It was worrying me a bit so now I can relax and look forward to the trip!



Thanks again,



Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment